Naked Finnish men sit in the sauna and speak straight from their heart. In the warmth of rusty stoves these men cleanse themselves both physically and mentally.
The film takes us to many different Finnish saunas to let us hear touching stories about love, death, birth and friendship; about life. In all of its simplicity camera records the landscapes, saunas and men in almost magical pictures. The presence of the characters and the depth of the emotion reaches the limit where it is almost intolerable for the viewer to watch. This film reveals the naked souls of these men exceptionally intimately and creates a poetic portrayal of Finnish men.
Heikki Färm F.S.C.
Jani Kumpulainen F.S.C.
Adel Kjellström / Röde Orm Film AB
Nordisk Film Oy
Films Transit International Inc.
Length: 81 min
Shooting format: s16mm
Screening format: 35mm, HDCAM, DigiBeta
In association with: SES, AVEK, YLE TV2, MEDIA, NFTF, SFI, SVT, ETV, ARTE
- European Film Awards 2010, Prix ARTE nominee
- IDA Awards 2010, Distinguished Feature nominee
- Nordic Council Film Prize 2010 nominee
- Risto Jarva Prize and Audience Award, Tampere FF 2010
- Prize of the Interreligious Jury, Visions du Réel 2010
- First place in the International Contest, DocAviv 2010
- Millenium Award, Planete Doc Review Warsaw 2010
- Special Jury Mention, Silverdocs 2010
- Grand Prize, Pärnu Film Festival 2010
- Silver Dove, DOK Leipzig 2010
- Universities Award, Doclisboa 2010
- Documentary Film Prize, Nordische Filmtage Lübeck 2010